Saturday, January 15, 2011

Module 1 entry

  1. Introduce yourself to the group. Include your graduate area (e.g., teaching, Acute care NP, etc.) My name is Jessica Curtis. I am in the Acute care NP program. I am a nurse in an ICU. I am excited to be in this class!
  2. Why do you as a graduate level nurse need to know about information management? Information management is important to know about as a graduate level nurse. As a graduate level nurse, part of my role is to support and improve advancements in patient care. Information systems and information technology are an integral part of health care advancements. As a graduate level nurse, I am committed to learning about information management in order to improve patient care.
  3. Describe what is happening related to IT in your clinical or practice setting. The ICU I work in is currently piloting a program called ECIS. ECIS integrates two seperate computer programs; Help 1 or tandem, and Help 2. ECIS's primary role is to improve the healthcare workers ability to stay up to date with the patient's status and also to have a more integrated approach to patient care between different disciplines. The charting for all staff is supposed to be more efficient and less time consuming for all parties involved. Nursing staff, respiratory therapists, and Medical Staff are asked to participate in the ECIS pilot and provide feedback on ways to improve the computer program. The primary goal of this pilot is for an ideal program to improve patient care to be developed.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to virtually meet you Jessica, nice job on your blog and I am looking forward to reading more about your experience and thoughts. Keep us updated on ECIS, I am interested to hear how the pilot is going.

    ReplyDelete